How do I have my student evaluated for special education services? I am already a resident of Charter Oak Unified School District.
Contact your neighborhood school office and ask to speak with a psychologist regarding a special education assessment.
What Special Education Programs are offered at Charter Oak Unified School District?
COUSD offers a full continuum of Special Education services. Once residency is proven and the student is assessed, should the student qualify for special education services, a complete plan will be reviewed with the family.
Can I have my Child’s IEP reviewed by COUSD prior to enrollment?
COUSD residency must be determined, at which time the special education team will review your child's IEP and offer an interim 30-day placement with like-programming.
I am new to COUSD from out of the county/State/Country and we already have an IEP, How do I continue special education services?
(1) Follow this link to determine your neighborhood school based on your address of residence: District Boundaries
(2) Create online web enrollment for your student: Online Student Enrollment
(3) Gather the IEP and residency verification documents, and provide the required documents to your neighborhood school office.
(4) Without delay, the special education team will review your child's IEP and offer an interim 30-day placement with like-programming.
WHAT IS A SUSPECTED DISABILITY?
Children may have a disability if:
1. A health or a medical disorder interferes with their development and/or learning.
2. They seem to have difficulty seeing or hearing.
3. They appear to have social, emotional or behavioral difficulties that affect his/her ability to learn or interact with others.
4. They have a diagnosed progressive or degenerative condition that will eventually interfere with their ability to learn.
5. They have difficulty understanding directions like other children their age.
6. Their speech is not understood by family or friends.
7. They have difficulty with reading, writing, math or other school subjects.